Quantcast

South Raleigh News

Thursday, April 3, 2025

North Carolina designates April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Webp e55ead4wn0rntpkahmu64b6imvsx

Josh Stein, Governor | Office of the Governor of North Carolina

Josh Stein, Governor | Office of the Governor of North Carolina

Governor Josh Stein has designated April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month in a move aimed at supporting survivors and enhancing public consciousness. The proclamation is backed by data from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center which states that 81% of women and 43% of men experience sexual assault or harassment during their lifetime.

North Carolinians are urged to participate in nationwide awareness efforts on April 1 by wearing teal and sharing supportive messages using #WearTealDay and #SAAM2025.

"This month we recognize the survivors of sexual assault in our state," said Governor Josh Stein. "Last year we cleared the backlog of older sexual assault kits in our state, but there is more work to be done. That is why I have called on the General Assembly to fund a sexual assault cold case unit – because it is never too late to hold a perpetrator accountable or get justice for a victim of this heinous crime."

Gabriel J. Esparza, Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Administration, remarked on the disturbing prevalence of sexual violence: “Nobody should be subjected to such horrific acts, so the fact that four out of five women and nearly half of men in this country experience sexual assault or harassment at some point in their lives should raise alarm bells for all of us,” he said. Esparza stressed the need for continued education on consent and awareness of the signs of abuse.

Sexual violence encompasses any unwanted physical or verbal advances including sexual activity, abuse, harassment, and assault. During the 2023-24 fiscal year, CFWYI-funded rape crisis centers in North Carolina provided intervention services to over 8,500 individuals, including 1,577 minors, and fielded more than 27,400 crisis communications. Notably, only 4% of assaults were reported to have been committed by strangers.

Services addressing sexual violence are supported by the NC Department of Administration’s Council for Women and Youth Involvement (CFWYI), which funds programs in 96 counties. These initiatives provide counseling, 24-hour crisis lines, transportation, and court and advocacy services.

Governor Stein, during his tenure as Attorney General, made it a priority to eliminate the backlog of untested rape kits and now, as governor, seeks to establish a cold case unit to address unsolved sexual assault cases.

For those experiencing sexual violence, resources are available through state-funded agencies, and the NC Council for Women and Youth Involvement provides a directory for assistance.

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

!RECEIVE ALERTS

The next time we write about any of these orgs, we’ll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.
Sign-up

DONATE

Help support the Metric Media Foundation's mission to restore community based news.
Donate

MORE NEWS